Poinsettias add a traditional and festive touch to your holiday décor. They look great and they make ideal gifts for people that like plants. But for some there are concerns about caring for poinsettias. The good news is – it’s easier than you may think!
Arm yourself with these 5 tips…
- Protect Your Poinsettia From The Start – This means you should cover the plant when you carry it out of the store. Poinsettias are very sensitive to the cold.
- Provide Indirect Lighting – Your plant will enjoy 6 hours of light each day, just make sure it is indirect light.
- Even Cool Temperatures Are Best – After you get the plant home it should be placed in a place that will receive indirect lighting and that is free from drafts – this includes both warm and cold drafts.
- Cool Temperatures For A Long Life – Poinsettias do well with daytime temperatures of 60-70 degrees and nighttime temperatures of about 55 degrees. Keeping your plants warmer than this will shorten their lives.
- Avoid Wet Feet – Allow the soil to dry out between waterings – if the plant did not come in a container that drains you may need to replant or create drainage holes.
That’s it – your poinsettias should look gorgeous throughout the holiday season – Enjoy!
Debbie Allen is a team member at Package From Santa. When she’s not creating content for websites she’s busy spending time with her family and pets.